Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Big Taper...

It's been 42 weeks since I began this journey on November 3rd. I had penciled in the Chicago Triathlon to be my peak race for the year. That race is now just 1 week away.
The Numbers: 468,250 swim yards, 4,608 bike miles, 1,567 run miles, 95 trips to the weight room, over 150 sessions of core work.
These numbers don't tell the story however. I have an e-mail that has sat in my inbox since August 25, 2008. The e-mail was one I sent to myself the day after the Chicago Triathlon a year ago. I had just decided that I wanted to stop coaching so I could train year round. In the e-mail I sent myself 9 specific training goals for this year. I accomplished every one of them except for one which was to run 33:30 in the 10k on the track in April. I had planned to run one in April but that is when I was injured with the cyst on my achilles tendon. The other 8 I have been able to check off. More important than the numbers is the mental toughness I have gained from the numbers. I am more confident going into Chicago than I have ever been going into a race. This week I had my best workout ever on the track. Tuesday I ran a 400, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, and 400. I averaged 4:57 pace/mile through the workout getting faster as I came back down the ladder. My last 400 was the fastest I ran in a workout since I can't remember when. Today I did a 31 mile ride easy with 10x 1 minute hard periods followed by a minute easy. I averaged over 27 mph on the hard periods. My overall ride was at 22.6 mph which is the fastest training ride I've ever had. When I got off the bike I ran a fast mile in 5:19. All of this leaves me believing that I can go under 2 hours next Sunday while placing in the top 10 of the Elite Amateur race. This is the one I hoped to have a peak performance at. The hard work is finished...my mind is ready to race...it's going be great! Thanks for following. DREAM BIG!

5 comments:

debpaul said...

All I can say is WOW..those numbers are so impressive! I copy and pasted them so I can show you off to my more athletic friends. I am so proud of you! Em, Ry, Katie, Jason and i will all be praying for you this weekend!

Jeff Paul said...

Thanks Deb! I'll call you guys after the race and let you know how it went. Tell Jason and the kids I say hello.

Dan Tomlin said...

Congrats!

That's a lot of pain, suffering and dedication in the last year!

Tear it up this weekend!

Jeff Paul said...

Thanks Dan. I've had a good taper and am mentally ready to go. I appreciate the support!

Jen Paul said...

I'm so proud of your dedication to accomplishing these goals and can't wait to see a great race this weekend! Payton and I are so lucky to have you model hardwork and determination day in and day out while doing such a great job of balancing your training and family. You are definitely an inspiration and I'm extremely lucky to have you as a huband :)
<3 Jen