Sunday, March 7, 2010

Week 16 Summary

What a week! The highlight was definitely the birth of our son Owen on Monday afternoon. He and mom are both doing great. He got to watch me bike on the trainer today and I think he was reaching out for the bike...it must be in his blood! The night before we went in to the hospital I started coughing uncontrollably. I slept on the couch so I wouldn't keep Jen awake since we had to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. I fell asleep at 3:30 and Jen woke me up an hour later. The next few nights were terrible. I felt fine during the day but couldn't stop coughing at night. On Wednesday I moved to the couch early and at 1:00 a.m. Jen came in and told me I should go to the emergency room to find out what the problem was. We were both worried with me having these coughing fits around a newborn baby. I drove the the ER to find out I have pneumonia. Great...something else to slow me down. I had taken Monday through Wednesday off as planned and was planning to get back into training on Thursday. I was given an antibiotic to help get over the sickness. I trained Thursday-Sunday but not with any intensity as I don't want to slow the recovery of the pneumonia. I ran 30 miles and biked 120 but skipped out on the swimming. I lifted on Friday and did plyometrics and lunges. One thing I've noticed is that I'm really sore after working out and I hope it's from the antibiotics weakening my ability to recover. I shouldn't be sore even after three days off when I'm training at low intensity. I'm feeling better now but still coughing a little bit at night. I'm hoping to get back into a regular schedule of work and training this week and putting the pneumonia behind me so I can get a really big week of training in next week when we are on spring break and I don't have to work. Thanks for reading! DREAM BIG!

No comments: