Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Why not you? Week 1

 
On Monday I was half way through my first run of the year.  It was a 3 mile run at 7:10 mile pace.  I was struggling...hurting bad.  My legs were on fire.  I was on the treadmill and was all over the place unable to find anything that resembled rhythm in my stride.  I began to realize how big the mountain is.  I began to realize how far I have to climb.  I also began to wonder...why not you?  If I can do this...starting in the shape I am with goals of going sub 4 hours for a 1/2 Ironman and sub-9 hours for a full Ironman within 8 months why can't you do this also?  I don't remember 3 miles ever being so tough, yet I have no doubts with daily committment to the work that needs to be done I will be able to attain my goals.  Can you do the same?  I have no doubts you can.  My first swim was equally painful.  I made it 2,000 yards and thought I was going to drown even if my arms didn't fall off...which they felt like they were about to.  Why not you?...Why not now?  Maybe your mountain is to run a mile...maybe it's your first 5k...1/2 marathon...marathon...or even an Ironman.  Regardless of what your mountain is and how far away you feel from the top make the committment and believe that it is possible.  I'm right there with you...looking up the mountain from the bottom and although it can be daunting to think about the climb I can tell you it will be well worth it.  I have climbed this mountain in the past.  In November of 2008 I began the climb weighing 186 lbs. with a goal of getting to the top of my mountain which happened to be earning my professional license.  11 months later I reached the top of that mountain.  I actually think I enjoy the process of climbing the mountain more than I do the feeling of reaching the top.  The top only lasts briefly.  You will come down...but the journey to the top is where the memories are made...is what makes the top that much more enjoyable.  Week 1 was a great week although it was difficult.  I started to make my way up the mountain and am looking no further than week 2.  Slowly I'll get there.  I ran 30 miles, biked 115 and swam 8,200 yards.  I met all my weekly goals and was able to put a checkmark next to all of them on my weekly goal checklist.  It was a good start.  Set goals and begin your climb.  Why not?  If I can picture the top at my current condition I know anyone can.  Let's make this climb together.  DREAM BIG!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Great post! I started my journey last month, and would love to someday complete a half marathon. My faraway dream would be to compete in tris. I have bad days, but I'm thrilled to say I can run 10 min. on the treadmill at an 11:30 pace. Might not seem like much but it is HUGE for me. I enjoy following your blog, and you're certainly an inspiration.