Monday, February 11, 2013

The Journey Resumes...2013

On Saturday I wrapped up my first coaching duties since I began training to be a professional triathlete in the fall of 2008.  I enjoyed being back in the rhelm of coaching and it certainly kept my competitive side at bay through the first part of my off-season.  I was really proud of the way our 9th grade girls basketball team progressed through the course of the season.  Early in the year I was not excited about the effort, energy, and intensity we played with at practices and games on a day to day basis.  One day would be great and leave me so excited I could hardly sleep.  The next day would be a huge letdown leaving me frustrated.  Over the past 5 weeks the team showed growth by coming to practice every day ready to work hard.  I'm excited about the future of our girls basketball program.  This coaching position was pefect for me in terms of traithlon preparation.  I poured a relentless amount of time and energy into the position even though it was "just 9th grade girls basketball."  Doing things 100% is what I do.  This position was no different and because I put 100% into this position I put 0% into triathlon training which I think was necessary.  Over 2.5 months away from anything resembling organized and disciplined training is exactly what I needed to do to start my 2013 season.  I believe the lingering injuries I dealt with in 2012 are completely gone.  I believe my body is more rested entering a season than it has been in 3 years.  Last year I was in tremendous shape in April but was fading fast by the big races in July.  This extended break forced me to delay the training and delay the peak fitness I hope to achieve later in the season this year.  With basketball being wrapped up I now turn my focus to my goals for the 2013 season.  I have a new fire burning and hope to achieve more than I have to date.  I'm super excited to get back to that "machine like" feeling that comes with getting into great shape.  I have printed my weekly goal sheets and begun writing in my new training journal.  I can now focus on eating healthy and knowing that every day is a chance to get in better shape than the day before.  I will be sore in a few days.  That comes with beginning any new training cycle.  I am excited about that.  I am working out a race schedule but know a couple races for sure with my peak race already penciled (penned) in for September 8th at Rev. 3 Cedar Point.  That is a full distance triathlon I did last year for the first time and loved.  For now it is time to let the work begin so I can be ready.  I'm racing for a cause in 2013 and hope to let that cause fuel my motivation.  I'll announce that later once I've finished wrapping up the details of what charitable cause I'll be supporting.  I've appreciated all the support from friends, family, and followers through the first couple years of racing professionally.  I hope you'll continue to follow this journey and that it may motivate you to stay healthy, fit, and goal oriented leaving you to DREAM BIG!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up. You are an inspiration to many, including the kide that you coach and teach. 100% Keep dreaming--people need to see someone like you, someone who is being all that is in them. I know I needed to see it.