Monday, June 28, 2010

The long road back

I can only imagine how awesome the feeling of standing atop Mt. Everest must be. To be higher than anywhere on this planet must be pretty amazing. I also know that the view from the bottom before beginning the climb must be pretty damn intimidating. To be able to look up and not even see the top hidden up somewhere in the clouds must be a bit overwhelming to people who aspire to climb this mountain. It's a little how I feel now as I begin training again this week. The summit of my journey is so far away it's a little hard to even think of the top right now. In March I was getting close but now I'm starting from the bottom again with hopes of getting back there. I don't consider this a continuation from where I was because I'm so far away from that now. What's done is done and there is nothing I can do over. I have to begin where I'm at, and it starts with accepting where I'm at. I got on the scale today for the first time in 4 weeks and I was 173 lbs. I'll try to put that in perspective with a little history because the purpose of this blog is to inspire people to do things in their life they didn't think were possible. Now I'm right there with many of you starting this journey once again. If you are debating about beginning a journey towards a goal that looks unreachable for yourself I would love to have you begin that journey now with me as I begin mine once again. About 2 and a half years ago I weighed in at an all-time high of 202 lbs. That summer I began training at 196. I whittled my way do to 175 by the end of the summer. That was the point I decided to quit coaching and try to dovote myself to the sport of triathlon. When I began the journey of triathlon on November 3, 2008 I weighed 182. I got down to 164 last summer for my race weight. After taking 2 weeks off at the end of the season I began this year at 168. On March 1st I weighed in at 153 just before this achilles injury flared up. Running was so much easier at 153 than it was even at the 164 I raced at a year ago. Now nearly 4 months has passed since I've been able to run and I've gained 20 lbs. It is here I will begin my journey of climbing this tall mountain. It won't be easy. I need to take it one step at a time and make progress up this thing little by little. I have to stay focused with training which has never been tough but perhaps even more importantly I have to stay focused with what I'm eating which has always been tough for me. If I can do that I'll climb the mountain much faster this time than last. I've been near the top once and it's always easier to get back there the 2nd time. If you're beginning your own journey have faith in your progress. Keep the end in mind but more importantly see each day as a chance to get closer to the end. I'm excited to be back on the bike, back in the pool, and most of all, putting one foot in front of the other as I ease back into running. Thanks for reading! DREAM BIG!

2 comments:

Adam Beston said...

Nice to see the weight numbers of someone else. I was 185 back a while and down to 167-169 but need to be in the 150's as well. I am built like you as well. I only wish it was about calories but I like to be out and active and cutting the calories leaves me too tired. I know what works for me too which makes it only a mental thing instead of trying to figure out a problem it is all on me. Thanks for the motivation.

Jeff Paul said...

Thanks Adam! You're so right that it's tough to try to lose weight and still feel fueled for workouts. It's much easier for me in the offseason when I don't have races to prepare for. Since getting in shape is higher on my priorities than racing right now I hope the weight comes off quicker. I know it will mean I'll have to suffer through some workouts deprived of calories. Thanks and best of luck! Keep me posted.