Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Coach Olsen "The Journey is the goal"...

A friend forwarded me this video of our college track and cross country coach Paul Olsen. Ols' was one of the most influential figures I have ever met. He instilled in me many of the values that drive me to train relentlessly and to believe I can compete with the best triathletes in the world. Ols' is without a doubt the most enthusiastic and positive person I have ever been around. I had the privilage of serving as his assistant cross country coach for two years during the 2005 and 2006 cross country seasons. Coach Ols' instilled in me the belief that "nothing is impossible" and taught me that the power of positive thinking is more powerful than any tool an athlete can possess. He taught me about the "journey" through life and how to deal with adveristy when it stares you straight in the eyes. This year Augustana's track team was heavy underdogs at the conference meet and pulled out a win by 1.5 points after trailing by 70 on the final day of competition. There is no doubt this team embodied the optimistic "glass half full" approach that Ols' carries with him through every day. This video is Ols' in vintage style at the first team practice following the meet. Congratulations to Ols' and the entire Augustana Vikings track and field team. Although he's been coaching for 43 years now and is in his mid-60's you sure can't tell. Thanks Ols' for providing me the tools to believe in myself even when things are tough.

2 comments:

Luke said...

I can't help but leave a comment....I'm an assitant track coach with 'Ols and I'm so proud of what our team did at the CCIW conference meet. For those who don't follow DIII track, the Augustana Men's track team BEAT, I will repeat, BEAT the DIII Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Outdoor track team Champions. They are the best team in DIII in the nation (all year long) and because of our philosophy and positive thinking, we beat them!!!
JP - you will beat whatever gets in your way! I believe!

Jeff Paul said...

Congrats Luke! You guys were amazing. Your influence was a big part of the success. Thanks for the post!