Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Training Camp- "10 Days and 10 Nights"

I am beginning my own training camp that will last 10 days. I have decided to title the camp "10 Days and 10 Nights" because some of the training will be late at night. The idea of this camp is to get the toughest 10 day block of training I've ever done. I will update the blog each day with the workouts. This will help me stay motivated and will provide readers with an indepth look into the training that goes into this journey. I'm hoping this camp will help set me up for my best Olympic Distance triathlon ever in Chicago on August 30th. The camp will run from Wed. July 29th through Friday, August 7th. I began the camp today with the following...
1. 60 minute run (8.5 miles)
2. 4,100 yards of swimming with a hard set of 10x 100's on 1:25 with an easy hundred after #'s 1, 3, 6, and 10.
3. 53 mile group bike ride that was extremely fast due to the drafting and constant accelerations. Our average speed over the entire ride was 22.8 mph but the hard stretches of 10+ miles we were averaging over 26 mph. We started with about 40 riders and ended with 7.
4. 3 mile evening run
5. Weight Lifting- 2 sets of 12 on all the lifts I do
6. Lunges- 4 sets of 17, Claw Drill (it's a drill I do for improved speed), Core Work

My total training time for the first day of camp was about 6 hours and 10 minutes. I'm excited for day 2 of camp tomorrow! DREAM BIG!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are definitely an inspiration to all! Keep up the great work!!

Schwinn Girl :)

Kevin Tiffany said...

What's the Claw Drill? Sounds sweet!

Jeff Paul said...

Kevin,

I couldn't think of how to describe it so I found this on a website for track and field drills...hope it helps.

Fast Claw Drill
Objective: To re-pattern neuro-muscular movements and create improved vertical leg speed.

This exercise is performed one leg at a time. It begins with the athlete standing erect with the thigh of the active leg blocked in a parallel position, the toe should be up and ankle cocked, and the heel of the support leg off the ground. To begin, the thigh is driven down to a perpendicular position as fast as possible, and the foot recovered back up as quickly as possible. The knee joint remains loose allowing the lower leg to swing out naturally. The cyclical action used in previous drills applies here. The Fast Claw Drill can be performed continously, for a designated number of repetitions or on command.