Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 2...progress

I've always been a big believer in the 10 day rule.  The 10 day rule is that it takes the body about 10 days to adapt to workouts.  Therefore the first 10 days starting any new training cycle should always be tough but after 10 days things begin to feel better each day.  I am now past my initial 10 days and I'm seeing progress.  For the week my total training time was 16.5 hours.  I biked 215 miles, ran 33 miles, and attended class at Barre563 once.  I also did core work 12 times, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, jump rope all twice, and plyometrics once.  My harder sessions for the week included a 2.5 mile tempo run on Friday where I averaged 5:55/mile and an interval session on Wednesday where I did 7x2 minutes at 5:20 pace following each with 90 seconds easy recovery.  I was a bit sore from that one since I had not run that fast since last October.  My long run this week was 1 hour.  I try to slowly build that up adding about 5 minutes each week for the first 4-5 weeks and then 5 minutes every other week after that.  I'll try to be to 15 miles or 1 hour 45 minutes by summer. 

I am enjoying coaching 3 individuals this year.  I have been inspired by their commitment each week to stick to a plan.  Two of them are training for their first Ironman events and one is training for his first 1/2 Ironman.  Today I had the chance to do a 4 mile road race with one of the individuals and it was VERY inspiring to me.  Daniel Westbay from DeWitt started working with me 8 weeks ago.  Daniel had a 4 mile personal best of just over 30 minutes from back in 2010.  This past summer he ran 4 miles in 31:04 on a flat course in Eldridge.  Today he ran 4 miles on a hilly course in 20 degree temperatures in 28:46!!  I couldn't believe how much he has improved.  It was awesome for me to see this and be able to run with him because he has hit every single week as written out.  It was a great example how commitment to a goal and to a plan will lead to success.  It is still very early and he will be much faster by summer when he starts racing triathlons but it was a great benchmark race for him.  I couldn't have been more proud of the work he has put in.  Remember if you are beginning a new journey towards health and fitness that it WILL come if you are patient, have a goal, and work towards that goal.  DREAM BIG!!

No comments: