Monday, April 29, 2013

More support for iHope...Week 11

Week 11 was a record breaking week for iHope.  Every day last week during the school week I received notices of contributions made to iHope which aims to provide technological gifts to low-income students who display tremendous traits of character and work ethic at my school.  The 5 straight days of contributions was a record.  The streak ended today but I'm optimistic about starting a new streak.  The week also saw a record high total of contributions of nearly $900.00 which has me DREAMING BIG that this is a foundation we can reach endowment level for which would require an account of $10,000.00.  I'm so inspired by the generosity of others and the realization that other people also realize how an iHope gift can potentially be life-changing for the students that receive them by building self-confidence and by giving them something to help them with academic success and achievement.  The week started with a very generous business iHope sponsorship from The Schebler Company.  CEO Jim Anderson leads a business in Bettendorf, Iowa that specializes in manufacturing with a history of fabricating high quality products.  They have five distinct branches including chimney systems, specialty fabrication, architectural metalcraft, heating and air, and food equipment.  Schebler does business all over the United States. 

Later in the week I received news of support from our 7th local business, Dentistry Unlimited.  I have been visiting Dr. Teagarden at Dentistry Unlimited for as long as I can remember, at least 25 years.  Dentistry Unlimited is located on Utica Ridge Road in Bettendorf, Iowa.  I was thrilled that they saw the good in iHope and contributed to the foundation.  You can see all the businesses that have contributed on the iHope business support page.  I'm hoping to add a few more before the season rolls around. 

In addition to adding support from The Schebler Company and Dentistry Unlimited iHope also received very generous contributions from Jon McGee and family, Janice and Tim Foley, Amber and Shaun Wishnevski, Josh and Beth Paul, Chad Beert and family, Joe and Caitlyn Sutherland, and the outstanding administrative support staff at Pleasant Valley Jr. High.  Our administrative support team asked for our staff to donate the money we collected to buy them gifts for administrative professionals day.  Amazing generosity!  I'm so thankful this foundation received support from all of these individuals.  It inspires me and motivates me to train harder so I can continue to build the foundation through my race winnings this upcoming season...which is only 6 weeks away. 


This week the iHope board is thrilled to give a student another gift.  We have purchased an iPad and protective case and selected a student who is an outstanding representative of iHope.  This student is a leader in our school of the kind of character we want to build and the student is also a tremendously hard working individual.  We hope this gift will help the student to realize that post-secondary education is not only a possiblity but something we believe can and will happen.  We hope this gift will help make that possible.  If you would like to make a tax deductible contribution and help us start a new streak and break the next record click here.  Every little bit helps.  THANKS!!

Week 11 was a designed recovery week after 3 weeks of higher mileage.  On Sunday I traveled with Jen to the Drake Relays on the Roads races in Des Moines, Iowa.  Hy-Vee put up a prize purse of $120,000 between three races, a 1/2 marathon, 10k, and 6k.  Jen was running the 10k which paid 5 deep.  5th place was $1,000.00.  She knew the race would be loaded and it was.  With a big contingent of really fast Africans and some top Americans Jen competed well and placed 8th in a new 10k PR of 36:40.  I ran the 10k with her after being registered for the 6k.  We were out really fast through the 5k in 17:35 trying to hold on to some of the top women.  She faded a bit in the last half of the race but held her spot firm.  My good college buddy and teammate Randy Bill was the top American finisher in the 1/2 marathon with a time of 1 hr. 10 minutes which placed him 17th.  My good buddy and training partner who has relocated to Des Moines, Adam Bohach finished the 1/2 marathon in 1 hr. 12 minutes.  I ran the 6k but just ran it easy after the long tempo 10k with Jen.  For the day I got in 14 miles.  Every race had a loaded field with international talent. 

Payton has started doing Crossfit for Kids and she loves it.  Tonight after going to Crossfit for Kids Payton said, "Nothing can keep me from doing Crossfit...not even a piece of cake!"  We got a good laugh out of that but are really proud of her for learning what hard work is.  Today I ran the gym class mile 4 different times with kids from our gym class.  In both of my prep periods I was able to run the mile with 2 different sections...they split into 2 groups since there is a huge mass of kids running the mile.  All four times I picked kids who had a goal time and helped them towards it.  Every kid I ran with surpassed their goal time...most of it has to do with them not understanding how to pace and how to push the 3rd lap.  I made them pace effectively and didn't let them ease up on lap 3.  The first student I ran with shaved 30 seconds off his PR and ran 5:35.  The next kid ran 7:04 with a goal of breaking 8:00.  In the next group the kid with a goal of running under 5:30 ran 5:27 and the last group a kid told me he wanted to run 6:30 and he went out in 84 which had me worried but I was able to coax him into sticking near the pace and he ran 5:54.  Running the gym class mile has become something I love doing.  It's great seeing these kids realize they are better than they thought.  I'm hoping to continue convincing myself of the same thing this year.  Thanks for reading!  DREAM BIG!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...glad all is going well. I'm still impressed...thoroughly impressed. Keep up the passion.

"When I walk into a room, I assume I have to prove myself. I know that. I'm accustomed to that. But I also know that I can prove myself." Yvonne Burke

Unknown said...

I've been reading through your blog, and this is some fascinating stuff you are doing. You've inspired me to start taking running more seriously again.