Monday, July 9, 2012

Week 28 Training Summary...end of 3 week block

On Sunday night I ended a big 3 week block of training that I began the day after the QC Triathlon.  This past week was the biggest of the 3 weeks and my biggest week of training to date in 2012.  For the week I biked 313 miles, ran 60 miles, and swam 21,000 yards.  I also lifted weights did speed drills, strides, core work, lunges, plymetrics, and jumped rope.  In total the week was 31.5 hours of training.  Over the 3 weeks I put in averages of about 250 bike miles, 21,000 yards swimming, and 61 miles running.  Now the key is to rest.  I hope to allow my body to adapt to all this training by resting this week.  I laid out the weekly training plan and Monday thru Saturday totals only 8 hours.  2 of the days are complete rest days.  I've only had 3 of those over the last 28 weeks and when I took a day off a few weeks back I felt incredible the following day so I'm banking on the rest helping a lot.  My plan for the race is to swim really hard to try to hang with some of the other guys so I have the possibility of riding with some good riders.  I know I'm in good run shape and I think I'm capable of running under 1 hr. 16 minutes on this run course if we get a day that isn't too warm. 
I've been enjoying swimming with our high school swim camp on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  It's been between 6,000 and 7,000 yards with them each time.  I also did a 5 mile tempo run in the 4th of July 10k this past week.  I ran just under 5:50/mile pace through mile 5 before backing off the last 1.2 miles.  I was planning to tempo the entire 10k but the heat was brutal as it has been the past 3 weeks during this training block.  When my pace began to slow I decided to call it at mile 5.  Jen not only won the women's 5k but she also set the event record which was utterly impressive considering the heat index was already over 90 degrees when we were running.  The race director specifically reminded people to take it easy with the temperatures soaring and he said it was not a day when any records would be broken.  Super Mom proved him wrong by setting the 5k record by 13 seconds en route to running 17:29.  She is in incredible shape right now.  I'm hinting to her that I think she could be a contender to place in the top 3 at the QC Marathon in September if she gains the confidence she can run well at that distance.  Her mileage has been higher than ever this year and she is doing a weekly long run which she never used to do.  I think 2 hrs. 55 minutes is a real possibility.  Currently, she insists on sticking with the 1/2 marathon.  Thanks for reading!  DREAM BIG!!

1 comment:

Josiah said...

Awesome training man! Good luck in Racine on Sunday, you are going to do great things!