Monday, May 23, 2011

The need to refocus

Last week was a rough one for me. I was hoping to get a great week of training in after a 1 week vacation following my crash at Ironman St. George. Monday started out like a normal big training day. For the first time in a month I lifted weights, did plyometrics, and lunges. I think I made the mistake of jumping back in right where I left off a month ago. By Tuesday night I was more sore than I've been in a year. Wednesday was the worst. I had to really back things off just to avoid getting injured as my muscles were not happy with me. By Thursday things were beginning to get better. I had a decent week running with 48 miles and swimming I went 4 times for 13,000 yards. I had a great open water swim with Adam on Sunday. My biggest disappointment was that I only got on my bike for 50 miles. That is absolutely pathetic. I didn't ride at all over the weekend. I'm not sure why I couldn't get myself motivated to get on the bike but I'm definitely frustrated with myself right now. Since reaching a low weight of 153 lbs. in early March I've let my eating habits fall completely off the table and I've gained about 10 lbs. I am not supposed to be racing at 163 this year. That is what I raced at in 2009 during my last year as an amateur. I knew at that time I had more weight to lose and that I would be faster when I lost it. I was running so well this winter at 153. Now I feel pathetically fat. The week started out well but the soreness threw me off and then I could not get myself to train at a high level and instead chose to eat anything I could find. It's tough for me to admit the loss of focus. I have high goals for the summer and this is not really acceptable. I knew it was important for me to write about it so I could begin to hold myself accountable for the mental lapse. I decided to run a track workout today to assess the damage and I surprised myself a bit. I ran 6 times 800 meters with 90 seconds rest after a 6.5 mile warm up. I set a target time of 2:35-2:40 which is nothing to be proud of but it is a start and I would feel good about finishing a workout knowing I could do more. I ended up feeling better than expected as I ran 2:35, 2:34, 2:31, 2:30, 2:27 and 2:23. I was able to put a "+" in my workout book which signifies a day of Junk-Free eating. I need to string a bunch of those together to get back down to fighting weight by mid-July. I'm a little disgusted with myself right now. Hopefully I can get a good week in this week and start feeling a little better about things. Pigman is 2 weeks away and it will be a very competitive race. I'd like to be in the hunt to win but I know I'm the only one to blame if I get toasted. Thanks for reading. Work harder than I did last week. DREAM BIG!!

5 comments:

coffeechug said...

You will be fine. Sometimes it takes a minor lapse to remind us where we need to be. You are only human and sometimes when a week like this happens it happens for a reason. Perhaps your body/mind just needed time to get away. You will come back stronger and faster, I have no doubts about that.

Brian Cewe said...

Jeff, Where do you open water swim this time of the year? Your blog has been very inspirational to me in my triathlon training so keep it up!

Jeff Paul said...

I teach with a gal whose parents live on a lake near Scott County Park. They have been kind enough to let me swim there. It was awesome. I'm looking for someone to go with me on Saturday so if you want to go send me an e-mail and I'll call you. Thanks for following!!

buy pgx said...

Vary your workout including lunges and weight-lifting.

relacore said...

wow .. what an information .. you have cover almost all the aspects of the need to refocus ... looking forward to read more such healthy article from  you.
Thanks for sharing