Monday, September 6, 2010

Fantasy Football Draft Week

This week was especially exciting with the annual Labor Day weekend Fantasy Football draft. This really has nothing to do with training but I'd like to think the success of my team could boost my confidence and we all know that confidence is perhaps the most important factor in success. Now if my team fails miserably I'll have to be sure to remind myself it's just a game and not let it affect my training...I had a pretty decent week of working out. I met my goals by riding 5 days, lifting weights 3 times, core work 5 times, lunges and speed drills and strides once, and swimming twice (I revised my swim goal to 2x when I realized how busy we were going to be over the weekend). Next week the pool hours increase on the weekend and it will be easier for me to get in the water on Saturday or Sunday. For the week I rode 112 miles with a long ride of 42 miles. I'm enjoying riding just to maintain fitness. All the miles have been easy with the exception of a few fast intervals when I feel like speeding up. The most exciting thing for me is that I ran 3 times this week and I am still yet to feel any pain. I went 10 minutes the first two days and then 15 on Saturday. Today I ran a 5k really easy in 20 minutes still with no hint of pain. I'm hoping to continue slowly progressing the running time while continuing to strengthen the achilles.

Jen won two more races this weekend, first a 5k cross country run and then a 5 mile road race this morning. It was the annual Run With Carl, a memorial run for a friend and teammate of mine who was tragically killed when a drunk driver ran a red light back in 1994. Carl and I were the only freshmen on the cross country team that year. His parents do a tremendous job of putting on this annual Labor Day tribute to their son. Jen won the women's 5 mile in 30:48. I was happy to run easy and feel no pain while running 20:20 in the 5k. I think Jen's now won about 15 races this year.

As for the draft...we have a 10 team league with 2 Quarterbacks that play and I was happy to get Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers with my first two picks. I was really shocked that I was able to get Ryan McMahon, the Chargers rookie running back in the 3rd round. I'm excited for the first matchup next weekend. I'm more excited for November 1st however when I will begin real training to get myself ready to compete for a podium finish at Ironman St. George on May 7. It's a super hilly course which I'm excited about because I've had good success riding tough courses. I think I visualize that race in my mind about every time I'm out on the bike. I have so far to go but that's the fun of this sport...getting in great shape...suffering through workouts, watching my body transform into something I never thought I could be. Dreaming every day of that success makes working out fun. That fun is what keeps me inspired. Thanks for reading. DREAM BIG!

No comments: