Monday, May 3, 2010

Post surgery update

I saw my surgeon Dr. Mendel this morning. They cut my cast off using some device I thought was going to saw through my leg but they told me to trust that this ancient looking saw could detect human flesh and it would stop cutting when it was reached. Dr. Mendel has cautioned me numerous times to be patient in coming back from this injury and I intend to do just that. Later in the day I went to Plaza Physical Therapy for an analysis from Kevin Swanson, the head PT at the clinic. He called Dr. Mendel over since their offices are on the same floor and together decided I was ahead of what they would have expected with the recovery. With that said they still want me to remain very careful. We decided I would be able to swim with a pull bouey in the pull. That is a flotation device that goes between the legs so you don't kick. I will begin that on Wednesday if my incisions are completely closed. One of them was still slightly open today and with that open it would increase my chances of infection if I went swimming so I will wait. Kevin had me ride a bike for 10 minutes with almost no resistence. I was excited to be pedaling even with no resistance. I will continue to get physical therapy three times a week for the next two weeks. I graduated from the cast to a walking boot and will use crutches if it hurts at all in the boot. As for the looks of the achilles...it resembles a big cankle due to all the swelling. I have black and blue on the bottom edges of my feet on both sides and some black and blue going up the tendon. I've begun to ice regularly at home and it feels better with each ice treatment. The biggest limiter I can feel is that my foot doesn't have near the same range of motion it had before the surgery. I can only bring my foot up to about a 90 degree angle. Any more than that hurts. I hope to be in the pool this week and get some kind of fitness in. I lifted upper body weights today and I'm expecting to be sore tomorrow. Thanks for reading. DREAM BIG!

1 comment:

Felog.net said...

Hey JP!

I just stumbled across your site as I popped my head into the dailymile and I see that your achilles issue hasn't gone away. :( I also see that you've gone pro... congrats... that's huge!

I wish you a speedy recovery and I look forward to your continued success.

Vince