Monday, September 7, 2009

Austin, Texas...Here I come

After finishing the Chicago Triathlon last weekend with my best race to date I was contemplating taking some time off of training. I took 3 days off to start the week. This was not only needed mentally but also physically as my right hamstring was slightly strained from the effort last weekend. On Wednesday I decided to look up the 70.3 1/2 Ironman race series to see if any races were left this year. I found one in Austin, TX that looked very appealing. Being a 70.3 race it is a pro-qualifier where the top 3 amateur finishers can turn pro. This race is also not until October 25th which gives me 7 weeks to build back into good training and then rest up for the race. I kept thinking about the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" where they are collecting the dead bodies and they bring out the guy who isn't dead yet. The famous line from the movie, "I'm not dead yet" kept reciting through my head and I decided to sign up for the race. I resumed training over the weekend and will set goals each week building up for the next 6 weeks before tapering for 1 week before the race. My goal for this one is pretty simple...a top 3 performance. I'll continue giving training updates every Sunday leading up to this race. I'm excited to resume regular training and I should be rested due to the long taper leading to Chicago and the time off after the race. I feel a little out of shape only 1 week removed from my best race yet but that's expected considering how much I backed off for Chicago. I will be racing a small local sprint triathlon next weekend. Thanks for reading. DREAM BIG!

No comments: