Sunday, April 5, 2009

Week 22 Summary

Week 22 was pretty uneventful training wise. My focus is on getting my achilles tendon healed up so I can resume my normal training regiment. On Monday I saw Dr. Kaminski at Kaminski Pain and Performance Care for an ART treatment on the achilles. It was very good and I felt great Tuesday and decided to test it out. I ran 6 miles pain free and of course thought that meant the injury was gone. On Wednesday I did a total of 10 miles in a workout that included 5x 1000 meters all in 3:15 with 2 minutes rest between each and then 6x200's in 33-35 seconds. I was happy with the times considering how windy it was. I didn't hurt at all during the workout but afterwards could tell it wasn't totally healed. I should have skipped the bike ride but chose to ride 25 miles at a moderate effort. On Friday I ran again and it didn't feel very good. Again, I should have skipped the bike workout but I did 5x5 minutes hard followed by 5 minutes easy and when I finished I could tell I had put myself back to where I was last week. I'm committed now to resting up until it's 100% and I will take the return to full training much slower. I saw Dr. Kaminski again today and scheduled to see him Monday and Tuesday as well. I was frustrated with the lack of training because the Memphis race is only 6 weeks away and it isn't ideal to be resting up right now. What I realized though is that I have 7 other races planned and my peak race isn't until late August so in the long run the break now will help to keep me fresh through the summer. As for the VERY exciting news...

We had our first Team Tri-Fit meeting on Friday night. This is the triathlon club that director Steve Meek started a couple months ago. When he asked me to help start it I was very excited. I love this sport and want to promote it in our area. Regardless of past experience or ability levels this sport offers such a great healthy lifestyle. We had 13 members signed up before the meeting but on Friday night we grew tremendously! 16 new members joined and we are now up to 29 members! This total already exceeds the goal number I had for the first year of the club. It was great to see so many people excited about triathlons on Friday. If anyone is interested in the club please visit the Team Tri-Fit webpage and if you have questions contact myself or club director Steve Meek. Steve has a great vision for the club and has done an outstanding job of organizing this. Thanks for reading. DREAM BIG!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck with your achilles tendon injury I'm pulling for you to get back to 100% injury free.
Nick Z

Jeff Paul said...

Thanks Nick! It seems to be getting better by the day because I'm being smarter this time around. I hope to see you at the pool on Thursday.

Chris said...

hey jeff looks like training is going extraordinarily well minus the injury setback. i'm looking for you to rack up quite the list of achievements this summer! i had my first race last weekend in galveston, tx and i think it was maybe the best race i've ever had. minus the elite racers i finished 4th overall out of 800 and 1st in my age group out of 31. i was very pleased. nationals is next weekend. i'm very excited!
keep training hard and smart!
Chris Mann

Jeff Paul said...

What an awesome race Chris! You're in great shape and will have your best summer yet! This injury is frustrating. I'm in the best shape of my life but can't bike or run without my achilles swelling. Hopefully the extra time in the pool will pay off this summer.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the injury Jeff! It seems you needed a break- so take it easy and ease back in when you know you're ready. Great to hear of the success of the Tri Club! God bless you and love, Mom