Sunday, January 18, 2009

Week 11 Training Summary

Week 11 was my highest volume yet to be achieved in a week. My total training time was 21 hours. I hit my highest running mileage week yet with 55 miles. Looking back through my running logs that was my highest running week since July of 04' when I hit 60 miles. I also had my highest biking week so far with 110 miles which actually isn't a lot at all once the weather is nice. Last summer I averaged 150 miles per week on the bike topping out at 220. It's much more boring indoors and I don't have that kind of time right now with school in session. For swimming I hit the pool 3 days for a total of 12,100 yards. In addition to that work I also lifted weights, did speed drill, and strides all three times, did plyometrics and lunges twice, and core work six times.
After last week's race at Augustana I was feeling some discomfort in the middle of my lower back. I iced and massaged last weekend a lot but it was still hurting through my workouts on Sunday and Monday so I called Dr. Kaminski's office and they got me in on Tuesday. Wow! He really does incredible work. I was in his office for 15 minutes to get Active Release treatment and I haven't had a bit of pain since. I felt great the rest of the week. I'm thankful to have a sponsor that can help keep me healthy so I can continue to put in all this hard work. If you have an injury consider Kaminski Pain and Performance Care. He will take great care of you and get you back to working out fast!
I had a few great workouts this week. One was a tempo run brick workout off the bike where I did 3x 2 miles tempo running following 15 minutes of cycling before each run. I averaged sub-6 mile pace and it felt easy. Another was a bike workout with 5x 5 minutes very hard followed by 5 minutes easy. A good swimming one included 3x 500's on 10:00 at a tempo pace where I went 7:08, 6:57, and 6:49. My favorite one...a track workout at Augustana. On Friday afternoon I warmed up 3 miles and then did 3x the following...800, 1 min. rest, 400, 2 min. rest, 800, 30 seconds rest, 200, 2 minutes rest before starting the set over. My first five 800's were 2:37, the last 2:36, my 400's were 74, 73, 74, and my 200's were 33, 34, 33. I really liked the workout because it made me change pace after short periods of rest to run the faster 400's or 200's. The best part about it though was that my wife Jen was running it too! With Payton it's been tough for us to do workouts together but this one was fun even if she says she's not in good shape.
This upcoming Sunday I'll be competing in an indoor triathlon in Muscatine, IA. It is a 900 yard swim, 7 mile bike ride on the legendary Schwinn Aerodyne (yes, the old bikes where you use your arms along with the pedals), and then a 2.5 mile run on the even more legendary 100 meter track with banked turns (yes...you're right again if you did the math that's 40 laps). I'm looking forward to all of it except the bike ride. I did this race 3 years ago when I was in good shape and won it in 46:30. I'm still having nightmares about the aerodyne bike part of it but the rest was fun. I'm hoping to go under 45 minutes this year. Thanks for reading. DREAM BIG!

No comments: